As you all by now know, it is not going so well with our earth. In this industrial age, we are all together responsible for the global warming
For kids, this is a difficult subject to understand. Because they are growing up in a time where everything, of course, is electrical. In this blog, I want to give parents and educators some handles to explain global warming for kids.
At first, I want to show you a little video which I found on the website of World Wildlife Fund. It counts from 1880 – 2005. And for sure this problem did not dissolve until now. It is a Dutch site, but the little movie does not need words.
Global Warming for Kids
When it comes to explaining global warming to kids, there are a lot of difficult words to explain. Words as greenhouse gases, dinitrogen monoxide, nitric oxide, ozone layer or carbon dioxide. I will leave them for what they are. I will attend the Kyoto protocol at the bottom of this article.
How can you, in an easy way, explain the global warming to them?
At first, you can start with the cause of what and who are responsible for the effect of the warming up of the earth.
- The industrial progress, more and more industry
- Cutting trees for our needs, p.e. paper – furniture – houses etc.
- Our use of electricity
- More and more people using cars, shipping and truck transport
- Mega production of the meat industry
- ……about everything a human being thinks he needs
We have now determined the cause.
What can you do about it? I mean, in what way can every living person take its own responsibility.
- You can be careful with your things and clothes, so you don’t have to replace them for new. And when you took care of your stuff, they are good enough to recycle.
- You can recycle all your paper, that will save trees.
- You can turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Or pull the plug out of your charger when not in use.
- Do not use spray bottles with (N2O) (nitrous oxide)
- Put a warm sweater on before turn up the central heater.
- Use a timer for the shower.
- Teach your children to look where the groceries are coming from, are they local, or have they travelled all around the world?
- Be an example and walk more, or take your bike.
- Use your car only if you really have to.
- Teach your children to say NO to all plastic junk at the checkout.
- The meat industry is the most harmful industry for our environment. Try to learn your children they will survive without a piece of meat every day. Even without any meat, they will!
- You can vote! Yes, you can make a difference!
- Everything we use becomes an attack on our environment because we are with 7 billion people right now. It is not one time a person throws away some paper. If everyone does that it will be 7 billion pieces of papers! 7 billion slices of meat! 7 billion chargers left in! 7 billion lights on!
Global Warming for Kids, the consequences when we do not listen to our scientists.
- Floods caused by melting of Arctic ice
- Extreme weather, hurricanes and thunderstorms
- Diseases from bad air and water
Extinction of animals and plants
- Extreme droughts
We get warnings from nature itself! The coral reefs are in a dying state. It is a warning the state of the seawater is very worrying. We are getting super storms. Nature will warn us, over and over again, we can choose to listen, and we can choose to ignore it.
Global warming for kids resume.
In 1997 some top leaders came to the conclusion, there had to be a change. They came together in the Japanese city Kyoto.
Kyoto I. They proposed a protocol on how much pollution a country could make. A whole lot of countries would not sign this agreement. Because when you agree, you have to live up to it!
Kyoto II. Far from all industrialized countries comply with the Kyoto II, as many states did not participate in the first protocol. In addition to the 27 states of the EU there are about 10 countries participating.
There are 195 internationally recognized independent states. So 158 states are still not willing to change their habits to save the environment.
Large states (and polluters) as United States, Russia, Japan and Canada remain outside the protocol. The countries that have agreed to sign are accountable for about 15 percent of global emissions.
158 countries will not agree to change their lifestyle. They are our world leaders and refuse to sign this extreme important agreement.
My message to all parents, educators and children
When we can make our children aware of how heavy the load is on our environment, the production and transport, our consumption, perhaps we can save our environment…..for their children’s children! Our own children are the world leaders of the future.
Teach the children well, and we can change the world in one decennium!